Hot Tub ready Decking in Exeter, Devon
Garden Plant Design have been as busy over the winter and spring as we are in the summer. As our catchment area expands, we showcase a project from April '16. The initial contact with our client was for a few ideas for his 11m x 5m back garden decking in Exeter.
Location: River Plate Road, Exeter, Devon
- Design and build a timber decking with as close to zero maintenance as possible.
- Top level of decking to be the same height as the kitchen floor
- To incorporate a Wheelie Bin store to house 2 bins.
- To retain some of the plants to put into planters after completion.
- To Construct a 1.8m high fence to gradually blend in to rear wall, but not stepped.
- Custom staircase from lower to higher areas.
- Reinforced lower area for future Hot Tub area!
Project Timescale: 3 weeks
- Easy access from house onto decking area.
- Extending living space while creating hidden storage
- Natural unstained decking boards
The client specified 6" feather-edge fencing boards to compliment the existing surrounding fences and subtle nautical theme to the deck.
We quickly realised this was no quick fix and set to work with measurements, ideas and planning.
The initial plan was accepted with a changes. The top level timber deck was to incorporate a step to the second level. The balcony area was changed from rope to a unique concept encompassing wooden handrail, wooden newel posts and a sail design balustrade which was then again changed to 40mm x 40mm spindles after the client preferred the look. A 1200mm retaining wall was to be built due to the amount of soil to be removed and this allowed the design to semi-cantilever 900mm over the wall with an added support of taking the newel posts to the ground and fixing them to the reinforced concrete base. The end storage of lower level to lose shelves and to be covered with a door.
We enlisted the help of our good friends at Tim Stribley Building & Property Maintenance to take care of the major groundworks
Six cubic meters later...
...And Hardcore..... with a finger photo bomb!
Ok, so at this point we'd like to apologise for the lack of framework photos. Someone's phone got stolen! 🙁
But we found 1 and as you can see, we have constructed the new 6" feather edge fence ready for shaping. Up to this point all top level framework is in place except for the staircase run. All of our framework, where possible, is constructed from 150mm x 50mm (6 x 2), why shouldn't your decking feel as solid as your inside floors?
Top level of decking and step are complete.
Armoured cable laid ready for electrics.
Phase 3 is awaiting approval so watch this space...
Garden Plant Design (SW) Ltd providing Garden Decking Services in Torbay, Exeter and throughout Devon and the South West.
Please contact us for further information to discuss your Garden Decking Services requirements.